Our lawyers gained a now long established reputation by addressing difficult and complex issues in the emerging energy sector. We have a team with in-depth industry experience who understands not only the legal, but also the commercial implications of energy projects and who can provide reliable advice regarding the structure optimization of any transaction in the power, oil and gas sectors.
Our experience with power projects comes from advising not only on renewable energy, but also by extensive implication in the conventional power sector. A substantial amount of our work involves cases of refurbishment, overhaul and expansion of existing coal or gas-fired power generation units in Romania, but we regularly advise clients operating in all of these sectors on a wide range of issues: regulation, environmental obligations and liabilities, EPCs, financing, trading schemes and emission reduction, and other corporate and transactional matters.
Our energy litigation practice is an integral part of our team advising in the energy and natural resources sector.
The recent activity in the Romanian natural resources sector saw our firm involved in a majority of the completed projects and transactions, including oil and gas-field exploration transactions, and mine restructuring, sale or privatization.
It goes without saying that in order to excel in the energy and natural resources sector we need strong environmental law capabilities. Our experienced team advises on a variety of environmental matters, including disputes, on behalf of private parties or public authorities. We nurture good working relationships with relevant environmental authorities and with industry specialists, thus complementing our legal capabilities with the necessary technical expertise.
We participate in legal reform initiatives both in the energy sector and in relation to the environment, and we have contributed to increasing authorities’ administrative capacity by promoting and raising awareness for the Natura 2000 legal framework throughout the local Romanian administration.
We act as legal counsels and members of the Advisory Board of Green Revolution, one of Romania’s most prominent NGOs promoting urban ecology and sustainable development.
Highlights of our work in this practice area include advising:
- a global energy producing company in connection with a 800 MW coal- and gas-fired power generation capacity;
- a global beverages company in connection with a purpose-built CHP plant;
- a global energy group in connection with legal and tax issues related to a proposed joint venture with State-owned entity for the development and operation of hydro-power plant;
- a local energy producer in connection with EUR 75 million syndicated loan for the financing of heating fuel supply;
- a global energy group in connection with tax and legal aspects of unbundling of distribution and supply activities;
- an international financial institution in connection with the financing of several wind farm projects;
- an international developer of photovoltaic projects in connection with the restructuring and re-permitting of solar plant and sale to international investor;
- a global energy group in connection with development and permitting issues related to large wind farm developments;
- an Australian mining company on the proposed acquisition of copper mining company;
- an Australian oil exploration company in connection with the acquisition of oil exploration fields.