Our firm offers a combination of legal and tax capabilities which is unique to the market. Our lawyers taking roles on a particular legal matter or industry are usually well versed in tax law and can consider and negotiate tax aspects on the fly, without the inconvenience of asking for third party support. In fact, a few of the lawyers within our senior team are recognized as leading experts in the field, as their reputation has placed them at the top of the tax advisory market in Romania. Our strength is in transactional tax advice and tax litigation. We entertain close working relationships with a majority of tax advisory firms in Romania and can fit almost instantly into any multidisciplinary advisory team assembled by our clients.
Our transactional tax advisory capability goes beyond Romanian national borders. Our entire bpv LEGAL alliance rests on the concept of combined legal and tax capabilities, and all our offices compete for the top places in their respective jurisdictions. In addition, our strong international network of tax lawyers and consultants enables us to be involved in and even coordinate multi-jurisdictional tax structuring projects.
The same principles that apply to the transactional practice apply equally as well to the tax litigation work. When it comes to client representation, our lawyers are confident in their considerations of relevant tax law. Spontaneous reaction to claims of involved parties or at inquiries of the court is important, so confidence is key to a convincing representation before the court.
Highlights of our work in this practice area include advising:
- a global energy group in relation to tax and legal implications and available options for reorganisation of group companies in Societas Europaea;
- a waste management group on international tax structuring in view of proposed acquisition by an international utility and environmental group;
- a leading regional property developer in relation to the corporate and tax reorganisation of projects and sale of participation in office and commercial property SPVs (special purpose vehicles) ;
- a leading meat processor in connection with the group’s local and international reorganization, schemes for future investments in production and warehousing and set-up of royalties structures;
- a leading non-bank financial institution on tax and legal aspects of operating lease and sale-and-lease-back models;
- a leading service integration company on tax matters related to spin-off and outsourcing of information technology and services department of a petroleum company;
- a leading petroleum company on multi-million euros tax litigation related to excise duties for fuel sales in the aviation sector;
- a financial institution on tax litigation for recovery of VAT for financed developments, refusal to accept VAT deduction;
- a construction materials company on the tax implications of various employment schemes for local and expatriate employees
- a global leader in navigation systems on the Romanian tax implications of employee stock option plans.