In the competition for market leadership, companies are becoming ever more creative. Modern trade and digitalization offer new tools for companies with which to compete for customers and to keep competitors at bay. At the same time, however, in a globalized world, the effects of consolidation and of cartels have become more severe.
Competition enforcement agencies are strengthening their capabilities and becoming more sophisticated both on their own and in cooperation across multiple jurisdictions. Aggressive fines are no longer viewed as the only deterrent for anti-competitive behaviour, as private enforcement of competition claims becomes more actively encouraged by authorities and increasingly pursued by customers, including in Romania. First movers in new markets and concentrations in more traditional markets raise new challenges for merger control.
In this shifting environment, we have one of the most prominent competition practices in our jurisdiction. Beyond our national capabilities, our clients appreciate our regional outreach through our bpv LEGAL alliance partners, as well as our ability to take on the most complex national and EU legal matters relevant to our jurisdictions. Our Brussels office offers an ideal support base for developing multinational competition cases and makes us one of the very few Romanian firms to have on-location EU Law capabilities, allowing access to EU regulatory bodies and courts, country and regional representation offices, and industry representatives.
“Very proficient” team is “really up-to-date with the latest developments in European competition law.” Managing partner Cătălin Grigorescu is “an excellent adviser and fantastic negotiator”. The Legal 500, EMEA, 2018
In our practice, we place great emphasis on the educating our clients on the prevention of anti-competitive practices. We support clients in developing and rolling-out compliance programs and in training their staff to deal with inquiries and investigations of the competition authority.Highlights of our work Read more
- Advising a global commercial vehicle manufacturer on defending private enforcement claims from Romanian customers arising out of a global cartel
- Advising a global technology group on antitrust issues arising from its business operating system
- Advising a global leader in communication and security applications on unfair competition matters and litigation
- Advising a leading manufacturer of measuring equipment in cartel proceedings
- Advising a global cosmetics company on RPM issues and national distribution systems
- Advising a global consultancy firm on the prevention of cartel activities and bid-rigging arrangements
- Advising a specialized software company in the setting-up of a software reseller and distribution system in Europe and Latin America
- Advising a global leader in construction materials on several market dominance issues, market inquiries, and industry association issues, as well as on merger control procedures
- Advising a leading industrial supply group on proceedings by the competition authority in connection with alleged market dominance abuses
- Advising a global industrial group in connection with investigations and procedures by the Romanian Competition Council on bid-rigging practices via industry-association meetings and discussions