Our lawyers have a long-established reputation, earned by addressing difficult and complex issues in the emerging energy sector. We have a team with in-depth industry experience who understands not only the legal, but also the commercial implications of energy projects and who can provide reliable advice on the optimal structuring of any transaction in the power and oil & gas sectors.
Our experience with power projects comes not only from advising on renewable energy, but also through extensive involvement in the conventional power sector. A substantial amount of our work involves cases of refurbishment, overhaul, and expansion of existing coal or gas-fired power generation units in Romania, and we regularly advise clients operating in all of these sectors on a wide range of issues: regulation, environmental obligations and liabilities, EPCs, financing, trading schemes, emission reduction, and other corporate and transactional matters. Our energy litigation practice is an integral part of our team advising in the energy and natural resources sector.
The team is noted for its strength in handling litigation concerning oil, gas, hydropower and biomass matters. The Legal 500, EMEA, 2018
Recent activity in the Romanian natural resources sector saw our firm involved in a significant number of projects related to onshore and offshore oil & gas exploration and production, power trading, gas trading, and the restructuring, sale and privatization of mines.
It goes without saying that in order to excel in the energy and natural resources sector, we need strong environmental law capabilities. Our experienced team advises on a variety of environmental matters, including disputes, both on behalf of private parties and public authorities. We nurture good working relationships with relevant environmental authorities and with industry specialists, thus complementing our legal capabilities with the necessary technical expertise.
We often participate in legal reform initiatives both in the energy sector and in relation to the environment, and we have contributed to increasing the administrative capacity of authorities by promoting and raising awareness for the Natura 2000 legal framework throughout the local Romanian administration.Highlights of our work Read more
- Advising a global oil & gas company on the setting-up of offshore exploration operations, including on regulatory, HSE and tax matters
- Assisting a North American onshore oil & gas exploration company in setting up operations in Romania and providing advice on the potential acquisition of gas fields
- Advising an onshore gas exploration company in a dispute over a farm-out agreement
- Advising a global petroleum company on opening new gas exploration fields and securing access rights
- Advising a global energy producer in connection with a proposed 800-MW coal- and gas-fired power generation capacity
- Advising a global beverages company in connection with a purpose-built CHP plant
- Advising a global energy group on legal and tax issues related to a proposed joint venture with a state-owned entity for the development and operation of a hydro-power plant
- Advising a local energy producer in connection with a EUR 75-million syndicated loan for the financing of heating fuel supply
- Advising a global energy group on the tax and legal aspects of unbundling distribution and supply activities
- Advising an international financial institution in connection with the financing of several wind-farm projects
- Advising an international developer of photovoltaic projects with regard to the restructuring and re-permitting of solar plant and the sale to an international investor;
- Advising a global energy group in connection with development and permit issues related to large wind-farm developments
- Advising an Australian mining company on the proposed acquisition of a copper-mining company
- Advising an Australian oil exploration company in connection with the acquisition of oil exploration fields